Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:41 am by Guest

Share | 

adolescenceiscool2

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
alpha-1

PostSubject: Re: adolescenceiscool2   Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:46 pm

Lets just say I'm glad to have been a teen in the 80's.

A dorky unathletic comic book (when that was NOT cool) teen, but one that, in theory, could have gotten away with more than is easily possible now.

Back to top Go down
harleyquinn

PostSubject: Re: adolescenceiscool2   Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:49 pm

That was quite the novel.

and yeah..... she'll find away around your shit, and she'll get caught some of the time as well.

I played that game. It was my dad that caught me 99% of the time.

I even electrical taped my parents security system so it wouldn't "beep" as I waltzed out the door when I was a teenager... amongst other things...

In my defense, I was never really doing anything too heinous. I was a night owl. I was usually just playing Soul Caliber and drinking /shrug when I snuck out. Sad to report that there have been no wild orgie pits in my past.
Back to top Go down
alpha-1

PostSubject: Re: adolescenceiscool2   Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:33 pm

harleyquinn wrote:
That was quite the novel.

Write what you know.

And yeah, I know she will. There's several obvious holes in my system that I've purposefully left intact. Among other things, I want my kids to grow up to be individuals that challenge authority and aren't afraid to circumvent things that they think don't make sense. I do that, probably more than I should. When I was young I so wanted to do what Shifty is, with age I realize I'm lucky the end of Cold War didn't let me. I wouldn't have fit.

If I do my job right, my childrens' challenge of authority will take the form of "Why?" or "This is wrong because..." and not just a hamfisted "Fuck you!". And their circumvention will come with the acceptance of responsibility for its outcome. My view is that these traits are vital characteristics of a fully formed human being. I think those traits are responsible for many of the great things man has done.

On my scale, right now I'm just buying her time to find her spirit, and providing her cover to rebel in her own non-heinous ways. When she's ready to face the outcome, she can be heinous.

There, not a novel, still deep, and completely out of place in a video game forum.

You're welcome!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: adolescenceiscool2   Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:47 pm

[quote="alpha-1"][quote="Mr_Shifty"]
alpha-1 wrote:
Daughters are cursed and blessed by the fact that most men by the time they're in their forties can spot an up and coming drunk/wife beater/methhead/loser at a glance and can quote by chapter and citation how, when and why its going to happen, and we've been through enough shit to not be afraid to take a virtual or real asskicking if we get done something we think needs to be done.

Yeah, and the same could be said of clueless teen boys. Wary/wise mothers are much needed to steer them clear of trouble. I'm seeing that now with a nephew of mine, and it's stressing me out.

Interesting thread. Maybe not the best place in a vid forum, but hey. The picture you've painted, Alpha, is my future. My daughter's younger than yours, but these issues are in store for me.

You're a good parent for sticking your neck out for your kid at this age. You'll catch hell for it, but you have to push through on faith that some day your kid *will* appreciate it.

Or you press on because it's the right thing to do. They might never appreciate it.

It's touchy talking about father/daugher stuff because it gets into the whole rescue/guardian dynamic. Lord knows, adult women don't need to be *rescued.* E.g., in the game today, how many times did Harley blow my head off?

But the dynamic changes when you're talking about an underage gal (and the same is true for underage guys). You don't want her to know that you're watching out so much, but honestly it needs to be done. It's tricky...

I've represented enough methheads, crackheads, assaultive types over the years to have a really clear view of what's out there. You don't want to lose yourself to fear, but you've got to be aggressive about teaching your kids how to protect themselves. In the process of doing that, they might very well lash out at you . . . so you get to be a punching bag for a number of years. That's your job.

Did I mention that I play QW as a release from this sort of stress? Smile

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: adolescenceiscool2   Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:34 pm

Yeah, I'm late getting around to this, among many other things, but I've been busy shaping the next 20 years of my life.

Thanks for all of the birthday wishes, along with the many chuckles I got from your tales of your "Gone, but never forgotten" years. I'm truly grateful that you guys would welcome a young fucker like me with open arms like you have (I'm going on blind faith that it has nothing to do with the fact that I'm an admin's son). You're a very colorful, though seriously twisted and demented, bunch of guys, but that just makes you fun to play with.

All sappy bullshit aside, I will be on more, because I really miss pwning you funny bastards. See you on the server! snipersmiley
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: adolescenceiscool2   Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:55 pm

Do you kiss your mom with that mouth?

Fucker? Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: adolescenceiscool2   Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:35 pm

Whoops. I guess it's just this age. Come on, Dad. You know I speak much more liberally than that.
Back to top Go down
OddBird

PostSubject: Re: adolescenceiscool2   Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:12 am

Belated HBD wishes to you, Z. Hope you did something besides work or school to mark it.

OB
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: adolescenceiscool2   

Back to top Go down

adolescenceiscool2
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheCryptCommunity :: Quake Wars Discussions :: General Discussions-
Jump to: