TheCryptCommunity
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to the |CrYpT| community page!

Server Rules posted in General.

Latest topics
» LOKI IS THE MAN
debating if i should upgrade my box or not... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 2:20 pm by SiN110022

» One State. One Year. On paper.
debating if i should upgrade my box or not... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 3:13 pm by Mr.Kilo

» Flosstradamus - Trapstyle
debating if i should upgrade my box or not... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 5:14 pm by Mr.Kilo

» CrYpT
debating if i should upgrade my box or not... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 2:22 pm by regulator

» mrDan hate banned me????
debating if i should upgrade my box or not... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2013 1:41 am by Guest

debating if i should upgrade my box or not...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

debating if i should upgrade my box or not... Empty
PostSubject: debating if i should upgrade my box or not...   debating if i should upgrade my box or not... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 10:43 pm

Termoil!

ok right now the nitty gritty is:
Biostar TF570 SLI mobo
AMD 5000+BE @ 2.8ghz
4GB DDR2 duel channel @800mhz (OCZ platinum)
XFX geforce 260 216core
XP pro 64.

the main os hdd is 32meg buffer, plus a half decent PSU and cooling.

mouse, keyboard and monitor are all good, but i'm debating if is should jump on a quad core and 12ish GB of uber fast ram

i'm not sure if its wastsed money at this point or not. intel i7's look nice, but i'm not that rich. I'm not rich at all, actually..
Back to top Go down
Mr_Shifty
Admin
Mr_Shifty

PostSubject: Re: debating if i should upgrade my box or not...   debating if i should upgrade my box or not... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 10:50 pm

I mean, I play on a laptop that your rig way overshadows... but if it'll make your heart happy go for it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: debating if i should upgrade my box or not...   debating if i should upgrade my box or not... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 3:26 pm

think whether u really need it or not. is there something that u cannot run on your current machine?
Back to top Go down
Cloister_the_Stupid
Admin
Cloister_the_Stupid

PostSubject: Re: debating if i should upgrade my box or not...   debating if i should upgrade my box or not... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 1:25 pm

I take it you current cpu isn't a multi-core. I recently upgraded the wife's computer to an Amd quad core with 4 gig's of ddr3 ram and a new psu for around 370ish I think, includes m/b too. Plays her facebook games well.... Shocked Though I did get a GeForce GTX 275 out of it so we could the 12 months interest free Razz
Cpu
Motherboard
Ram
Not top of the line but it works.
Your vid card is more then adequate.
The ram I listed is 4 gigs. Unless you are in to photo editing and what not, I doubt you would really need 12 gig's of uber fast ram. The M/B I listed has 4 slots and getting 16 gigs of ddr3 1600 is, oh, around $755. Getting 4x2gb of ddr3 1600 is around 290 itself for 8 gigs.
So if you need a new a comp and are not rich, like me, you go with what you can afford and what you need to play the games.
Back to top Go down
https://etqwccc.forumotion.net

PostSubject: Re: debating if i should upgrade my box or not...   debating if i should upgrade my box or not... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 3:37 pm

Quote :
I take it you current cpu isn't a multi-core.

He has a dual core, although another 2 cores is always nice.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: debating if i should upgrade my box or not...   debating if i should upgrade my box or not... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 4:10 pm

Pretty sure if you run windows the most ram you can really make use of is 3 gigs. 12 gigs would be mega overkill.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: debating if i should upgrade my box or not...   debating if i should upgrade my box or not... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 4:13 pm

Mr.Ben wrote:
Pretty sure if you run windows the most ram you can really make use of is 3 gigs. 12 gigs would be mega overkill.

64 bit versions of XP allow 128GB.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: debating if i should upgrade my box or not...   debating if i should upgrade my box or not... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 10:59 pm

speaking of upgrades
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=6077929&sku=B69-0208

this is a pretty good deal if your like me and am looking to upgrade the whole box
Back to top Go down
Cloister_the_Stupid
Admin
Cloister_the_Stupid

PostSubject: Re: debating if i should upgrade my box or not...   debating if i should upgrade my box or not... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 2:02 pm

Razor_Wing1024 wrote:
speaking of upgrades
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=6077929&sku=B69-0208

this is a pretty good deal if your like me and am looking to upgrade the whole box
No offence but 2gb ram is pretty weak these days when upgrading. If you are going the Amd route, might as well bypass the Am2+ socket and go for the Am3 socket. Just my 2 cents worth.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: debating if i should upgrade my box or not...   debating if i should upgrade my box or not... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 3:39 pm

oh no i was more excited for the case and 1 tb hard drive that came with it cuz im looking to upgrade and i dont see what the whole fuss is with ddr3 memory i already have 4 gb of ddr2 and i just want to reuse them instead of dropping a hundred on ddr3
Back to top Go down
Mr_Shifty
Admin
Mr_Shifty

PostSubject: Re: debating if i should upgrade my box or not...   debating if i should upgrade my box or not... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 4:13 pm

I could be wrong but if you have dedicated memory on your graphics card i.e. 1 gig of GDDR5 with the ATI Radeon HD 5870 on the new asus G73 laptop (it's sexy) then that will make more of difference than whether you have DDR2 or DDR3. Of course, like I said, I don't know if that's true or not.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: debating if i should upgrade my box or not...   debating if i should upgrade my box or not... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 4:47 pm

I had a PowerUp case for around a week before it angered me. Its real thin metal and it needs the sides on it not to flex.

Mine had a different front plate, but the innards were the same.

Antec Performance II cases are great. They are also sold under brand names such as "Ultra". I'm not even sure if they make them anymore. I currently have a full tower one. I had a mid tower at one point as well.

Well, it looks like my room mate may be moving out in the next few months, so no new rig for me..
Back to top Go down
Cloister_the_Stupid
Admin
Cloister_the_Stupid

PostSubject: Re: debating if i should upgrade my box or not...   debating if i should upgrade my box or not... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 5:03 pm

Mr_Shifty wrote:
I could be wrong but if you have dedicated memory on your graphics card i.e. 1 gig of GDDR5 with the ATI Radeon HD 5870 on the new asus G73 laptop (it's sexy) then that will make more of difference than whether you have DDR2 or DDR3. Of course, like I said, I don't know if that's true or not.

The memory on the vid card and m/b are two differrnt things. Does not matter.
Back to top Go down
alpha-1

PostSubject: Re: debating if i should upgrade my box or not...   debating if i should upgrade my box or not... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 6:30 pm

Shifty probably means that spending your loot on a video card with a full gig of DDR5 will probably yield more noticeable results than spending money replacing perfectly good DDR2 system memory with DDR3.
Back to top Go down
Mr_Shifty
Admin
Mr_Shifty

PostSubject: Re: debating if i should upgrade my box or not...   debating if i should upgrade my box or not... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 10:55 pm

Yes Alpha, that is what I was intending to convey.
Back to top Go down
Cloister_the_Stupid
Admin
Cloister_the_Stupid

PostSubject: Re: debating if i should upgrade my box or not...   debating if i should upgrade my box or not... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 16, 2010 1:49 pm

alpha-1 wrote:
Shifty probably means that spending your loot on a video card with a full gig of DDR5 will probably yield more noticeable results than spending money replacing perfectly good DDR2 system memory with DDR3.
Ok, but changing to ddr3 would require a cpu, m/b upgrade as well which means you would benefit from a whole system upgrade. Though thats just getting too detailed for this topic, errr...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: debating if i should upgrade my box or not...   debating if i should upgrade my box or not... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

debating if i should upgrade my box or not...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheCryptCommunity :: Off Topic :: PC Related Topics-
Jump to: