TheCryptCommunity
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to the |CrYpT| community page!

Server Rules posted in General.

Latest topics
» LOKI IS THE MAN
"Switch" to Mac for ETQW? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 2:20 pm by SiN110022

» One State. One Year. On paper.
"Switch" to Mac for ETQW? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 3:13 pm by Mr.Kilo

» Flosstradamus - Trapstyle
"Switch" to Mac for ETQW? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 5:14 pm by Mr.Kilo

» CrYpT
"Switch" to Mac for ETQW? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 2:22 pm by regulator

» mrDan hate banned me????
"Switch" to Mac for ETQW? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2013 1:41 am by Guest

"Switch" to Mac for ETQW?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
kidgloves

"Switch" to Mac for ETQW? Empty
PostSubject: "Switch" to Mac for ETQW?   "Switch" to Mac for ETQW? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 3:29 pm

Lo' all. I've always run ETQW on a more or less dedicated 'game box' (win7, quad core, fast video card etc etc). It would be nice to be able to play on my iMac (27" quad core..) instead, but I don't want to go through the trouble if the game performance will be anything less than 'on par' with my win7 game box.

Has anyone done this? (Mektek, don't you play on a mac?)

Where / how would I even get the OSX media to install the game? I think Aspyr did the OSX release, but all the links I find for ETQW from them are gone now.

ADVISE PLEASE.

/ciao
KG
Back to top Go down
Scootter82

Scootter82

PostSubject: Re: "Switch" to Mac for ETQW?   "Switch" to Mac for ETQW? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 10:29 pm

You can always load windows onto a Virtual machine in OSX, then play from there...I have no other suggestions as I'm not a mac user.
Back to top Go down
MekTek

PostSubject: Re: "Switch" to Mac for ETQW?   "Switch" to Mac for ETQW? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 12:32 am

kidgloves wrote:
Lo' all. I've always run ETQW on a more or less dedicated 'game box' (win7, quad core, fast video card etc etc). It would be nice to be able to play on my iMac (27" quad core..) instead, but I don't want to go through the trouble if the game performance will be anything less than 'on par' with my win7 game box.

Has anyone done this? (Mektek, don't you play on a mac?)

Where / how would I even get the OSX media to install the game? I think Aspyr did the OSX release, but all the links I find for ETQW from them are gone now.

ADVISE PLEASE.

/ciao
KG
Yes, I play on a Mac using the Mac version of the game. I don't think I have any performance issues, but I have nothing to compare it to either.

But where you'd get this disk now, I don't know.
Back to top Go down
alphabeta

alphabeta

PostSubject: Re: "Switch" to Mac for ETQW?   "Switch" to Mac for ETQW? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 12:34 pm

You can find the game at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Enemy-Territory-Quake-Wars-Mac/dp/B000TDGYKS

First of all I am a hard core Mac user for >15 years.

I played about 1000 hours on my Mac before switching to a dedicated Windows box (thanks EZ Erich!). There is a big difference in FPS. I get about 80FPS on my 3.33ghz Mac (with the Radeon 5870 1GB video card) versus 350+ FPS on my Windows box with dual GTX 560 video cards in SLI. You can do it, but the gaming experience is very different.
Back to top Go down
MekTek

PostSubject: Re: "Switch" to Mac for ETQW?   "Switch" to Mac for ETQW? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 6:34 pm

Back to top Go down
kidgloves

PostSubject: Re: "Switch" to Mac for ETQW?   "Switch" to Mac for ETQW? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 7:09 pm

Ok. Frack my idea, I'm sticking to my Win 7 game box.
Back to top Go down
MekTek

PostSubject: Re: "Switch" to Mac for ETQW?   "Switch" to Mac for ETQW? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 10:00 am

I switched my video card to the ATI Radeon 5870 (see post above). I went from having consistent 90-150 FPS to consistent 200-300 FPS. (The swing was between 150 in some spots to over 500 in others.) At one point, between games, I saw 1,000 FPS for a second. :-)

My lag spikes are gone and, on one level where it was always almost unplayable for me due to the lag, it was nice and smooth.

This is all on a Mac Pro.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: "Switch" to Mac for ETQW?   "Switch" to Mac for ETQW? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 9:16 pm

MekTek wrote:
I switched my video card to the ATI Radeon 5870 (see post above). I went from having consistent 90-150 FPS to consistent 200-300 FPS. (The swing was between 150 in some spots to over 500 in others.) At one point, between games, I saw 1,000 FPS for a second. :-)

My lag spikes are gone and, on one level where it was always almost unplayable for me due to the lag, it was nice and smooth.

This is all on a Mac Pro.

I'm guessing by Mac Pro you just mean a normal Mac with you playing on it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MekTek

PostSubject: Re: "Switch" to Mac for ETQW?   "Switch" to Mac for ETQW? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 4:36 pm

More info:

After playing for a few hours, I'm a bit surprised to find that all my lag spikes are gone. No sudden shifts in action, no sudden freezes, and levels that were practically unplayable all the time are now smooth.

Conclusion: If you are experiencing frequent lag spikes that can't be attributed to your ping, consider a better video card.
Back to top Go down
MekTek

PostSubject: Re: "Switch" to Mac for ETQW?   "Switch" to Mac for ETQW? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 5:08 pm

scud24 wrote:
I'm guessing by Mac Pro you just mean a normal Mac with you playing on it. Very Happy
If that's what I really meant, I would have called it a "Mac Amateur", or maybe a "Mac Bumbler". Fodder would have said "Mac Noob", and would not have been wrong.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Switch" to Mac for ETQW?   "Switch" to Mac for ETQW? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Switch" to Mac for ETQW?
Page 1 of 1